Case Study: Gallatin Center for Rehabilitation and Healing (Q3 2023)

Concierge: Christina Mitchell
Patient: Jerry Conyer
Age: 70 yr/male
Admitted: 5/22/2023
Admitted From: Centennial Medical Center
Discharged: 6/29/2023
Discharged To: Home With Outpatient Rehab Services
Length of Stay: 5 ½ weeks
Reason for Stay: Severe Symptomatic 3-vessel Coronary Artery Disease , Myocardial Infarction, s/p Coronary artery bypass grafting x5 , placement of intra aortic balloon pump, Neuropathy, depression
How did this patient hear about Gallatin Center? Referred to Gallatin via Centennial Medical Center

Details of Experience:

Mr. Conyer was seen in the ER at Sumner Regional Medical Center for severe chest pain. EKG and labs revealed he had experienced a Myocardial Infarction. He was then given a Plavix load and was taken to the cardiac cath lab, where a cardiac cath was performed and revealed severe 3-vessel CAD with greater than 90% L) main artery stenosis, subtotal occlusion of the L) circumflex with a critical ostial lesion, as well as a high-grade right coronary artery stenosis. He was then transferred to Centennial Medical Center, and a intra aortic balloon was placed , Once stable, the next morning, Mr. Conyer underwent urgent coronary artery bypass grafting x5, free left internal mammary artery to LAD bypass (arising from saphenous vein graft to diagonal bypass) by surgeon Sreekumar Subramanian with assist per Doctors Daniel Chung and Reggie Key.

After surgery , he was then transferred to the ICU and remained intubated for several days. Mr. Conyer required a nasogastric tube for feeding and had bilateral chest tubes in place as well as a mediastinal chest tube. While in ICU, he developed cardiogenic shock, shock liver and acute kidney injury was then placed on hemodialysis.

During Mr. Conyers hospitalization he became weak, debilitated, and developed delirium and would require intense therapy,once able. He was referred to Gallatin Rehabilitation Center to receive therapy services for dx: of dysphagia, weakness, unsteadiness, cognitive deficit, and difficulty walking. And once the NG tube was removed, he was admitted to our community.

On Friday night, when he was admitted to Gallatin, he was very pale in color, barely spoke and was noticeably weak. He required extensive assistance with minor tasks, and was dependent upon staff for all ADL care. In the first 48 hrs Mr Conyer was evaluated by PT/OT and the following Monday was evaluated by ST. The first few days were rough per spouse and patient reports. Resident tired very easily and could only tolerate small amounts of therapy. He continued with a full liquid diet for a few days and was then upgraded to a mechanical soft diet. By the 4th day, improvement was noted as Mr. Conyer ‘s color improved and he began showing “pink to his cheeks.” He was sitting up in a chair for longer periods of time and his mental clarity was improving. The staff started to notice a smile on his and his wife’s face upon entering the resident’s room.

Mr. Conyer worked hard with the therapy department and did what was asked of him daily. We then began to see him ambulating with therapy and his wife remained by his side, cheering him on and supporting him every step of the way. His diet was gradually updated from a full liquid diet to a mechanical soft. After 5 weeks of therapy, It was now time to discharge. Mr. Conyer was now able to feed himself, but still required some help with dressing and toileting at times. He could ambulate at least 50 feet with turns noted, roll from side to side in bed, transfer to/from a car, He could go from a lying position to sitting on the side of the bed all with supervision.

In speaking to hm and his wife regarding his stay in our community, Mr. Conyer and his wife were very thankful to the staff. They knew he still had some hurdles to get over, but he was well on his way to achieve his utmost independence. Mr. Conyer was discharged on 6/29/2023 to return home and continue with out patient rehab.

Mr. Conyer visits us frequently at our community and ambulates all throughout the building unassisted with the use of a cane. He has friends who are now our patients and visits them as well.

We continue to wish Mr. Conyer and his wife all the best, look forward to his visits, and continue to see his improvements with his health.